Blood Donor Recruitment
IBTO implemented a long term plan to achieve 100% voluntary blood donation and has been successful to achieve this goal and excluded all replacement donations since 2007.
These activities include:
Currently, in house blood donation sites are 200 that 109 of them are blood collection centers, 57 are blood collection and preparation centers and 34 are main blood centers. These centers collect 80% of blood and the rest is collected by 82 mobile teams collecting blood in work places, educational institutes and cities which are not served by fixed sites.
Select and Retain Safe Blood Donors
The most important strategy to ensure a safe and adequate supply of blood and its components is selection and retention of safe blood donors.
Considering the spread of Transfusion Transmitted Infections (TTI), IBTO developed stringent criteria for selection of safe donors as follows:
IBTO has always followed the strategy of increasing blood donor's satisfaction by establishment of donor vigilance systems. Donor vigilance is the systematic monitoring of adverse reactions and incidents in blood donor care.
In this regard all adverse reactions in blood donors have been recorded since 2013; Major advances have been made in evaluating preventive measures and in determination of risk factors for conditions such as vasovagal reaction and other adverse reactions.
Our goals include:
All these activities have led to an increase in the number regular donations up to 50.8% in 2012;
Recruitment & Retention of Blood Donors
- EMRO with the collaboration of IBTO and IRETM published The First Regional Status Report on Blood Safety and Availability
- IRETM and universities of Kurdistan regional government to collaborate on academic and educational areas
- Re-designation of IBTO as WHO Collaborating Center for 2017-2021
- Visit of IBTO Managing Director to Afghanistan Blood Service
- Three days international workshop on GMP in Blood Transfusion
- For the first time, blood transfusion on emergency helicopter saved the lives of wounded
- Tehran-Hanoi cycling tour in commemoration of World Blood Donor Day
- Opening Ceremony of Joint IRETM-UPEC Diploma Course on Management of Blood Transfusion Medicine
- Iranian Minister of Health: IBTO stands in the way of progress
- Training of Trainers workshop on Good Manufacturing Practices in blood transfusion