Blood Donor Recruitment
IBTO implemented a long term plan to achieve 100% voluntary blood donation and has been successful to achieve this goal and excluded all replacement donations since 2007.
These activities include:
Currently, in house blood donation sites are 200 that 109 of them are blood collection centers, 57 are blood collection and preparation centers and 34 are main blood centers. These centers collect 80% of blood and the rest is collected by 82 mobile teams collecting blood in work places, educational institutes and cities which are not served by fixed sites.
Select and Retain Safe Blood Donors
The most important strategy to ensure a safe and adequate supply of blood and its components is selection and retention of safe blood donors.
Considering the spread of Transfusion Transmitted Infections (TTI), IBTO developed stringent criteria for selection of safe donors as follows:
IBTO has always followed the strategy of increasing blood donor's satisfaction by establishment of donor vigilance systems. Donor vigilance is the systematic monitoring of adverse reactions and incidents in blood donor care.
In this regard all adverse reactions in blood donors have been recorded since 2013; Major advances have been made in evaluating preventive measures and in determination of risk factors for conditions such as vasovagal reaction and other adverse reactions.
Our goals include:
All these activities have led to an increase in the number regular donations up to 50.8% in 2012;
Recruitment & Retention of Blood Donors
- IBTO in collaboration with WHO-EMRO to prepare 15-year regional status report for blood safety and availability in EMR
- The Governing Council Meeting of Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine in Tehran
- International workshop on Strengthening Leadership and Governance of National Blood Services
- The 4th Iran International Congress of Transfusion Medicine hosts 18 countries
- The first blood bag manufacturing company opens in Iran
- IBTO Managing Director presents Iran's experience in thalassemia prevention at 35th International Congress of the ISBT
- Message from Dr. Ahmed Al-Mandhari Regional Director of EMRO on the occasion of World Blood Donor Day
- Rwanda National Blood Service: A role model for least developed countries
- Visit of Pharmaceutical & Medical equipment delegation from Oman to IBTO
- AB negative: The rarest blood type in Iran