Iranian National Cord Blood Bank
Iranian National Cord Blood Bank was established in May 2010. It is a public blood bank with the mission of providing stem cells for patients.
Cord blood is collected according to ethical, scientific, and legal standards, after getting the consent of mother. Then, it is sent to the cord blood bank at IBTO headquarters. In cord blood bank, several tests are performed including determination of number and identity of the stem cells within the sample, as well as testing for viral and bacterial diseases in mother and cord blood.
The process leads to separation of the nucleated cells and determination of HLA type is. The HLA type is registered in the HLA registry. The stem cells are mixed with appropriate preservatives and then stored in nitrogen tanks at -190 °C.
The national cord blood bank stores stem cells and offers them to any patient in need; They are not stored for private purposes. Once, a physician makes a request, a HLA-matched cord blood is selected and forwarded to the transplant center.
The center is expected to join with other cord blood banks around the world to build a strong network and inventory of high-quality cord blood units available for any patient who needs a transplant.
Cord Blood Bank
- IBTO's representatives participate in Governing Council meeting of AATM in New Delhi
- IBTO in collaboration with WHO EMRO to prepare the 15-year trend of blood safety and availability in the region
- IRETM's student wins the Best Research Poster Presentation Award in AABB-AATM 2018 joint congress
- IBTO's representative shares Iran's experience in the 2nd National Transfusion Medicine Workshop in Muscat
- AATM-AABB 2018 joint Congress: Blood safety in Iran comparable to developed countries
- IBTO Joins Worldwide search for planet's rarest blood type for 2-year-old
- Tehran Times: HIV risk from blood transfusion cut to zero in 16 provinces
- IBTO in collaboration with WHO-EMRO to prepare 15-year regional status report for blood safety and availability in EMR
- The Governing Council Meeting of Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine in Tehran
- International workshop on Strengthening Leadership and Governance of National Blood Services